Sunday, January 15, 2012

"7" The Prime Number

In September, we added a 7th kid to our family, Lindy. Lindy is as cute as a bug, the sweetest girl ever, and Abby's full biological sister. Hopefully this spring, the adoption will finalize and she will be a permanent part of our family. While we have felt blessed to have her in our home, we have discovered that 7 is an odd number. I don't think I quite believed Mr. Barlow, my weird middle school math teacher, about how unique the number 7 really is. It doesn't divide into equal parts no matter what you do with it.

* Our "beverage buddies" have come to a screeching halt. When there is one person that gets their own drink, everyone else complains.

* Everything seems to come in packages of 4, 6, 8, or 10- which was so easy to divide in our family (4= 2 packages and everyone gets one, 6 = kids only, 8 = everyone gets one, 10 = everyone gets one now plus 2 for parents later). Now we always seem to have extras to fight over.

* I used to count to 6, 100's of times a day to make sure I had everyone with me. Counting to 7 doesn't have the same melody (try it 1.2.3.4.5.6.1.2.3.4.5.6.1.2.3.4.5.6.. vs. 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.). You always feel like you are off count. I have resorted to counting 6 + AJ.

* Our van seems off balance. It used to be 2 in the front, 2 in the first seat, 2 in the middle seat, and 2 in the back. We seem to be constantly rearranging the kids to figure out which bench should have 3 to have the proper feng shei.

* 7 kids + 2 adults has put us into the "large party" dinning whenever we go out to dinner. There are always tables for 8, but 9 is where the "special" tables break out.

If adding just 1 more to make it an even 8 wouldn't be so much work, it would be the simple fix. But Al & I both agree, it is much easier to just adjust to 7.




Here is a video of Lindy from our Christmas Video. It starts with the first time that Abby, Aly, and I meet Lindy in Nebraska in September.

10 comments:

Derek said...

We are glad Lindy hop is here, too. But if you ever need to unload an odd child for a few days, we would be happy to even up the numbers here in Houston. We'll meet you halfway at the H.I. Ex in Columbus: http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/columbus/cbutx/hoteldetail.

Lisa said...

I do love the Holiday Inn Express. Would you take a kid and 2 dogs? We would make sure to keep the numbers even!

Stacey said...

I agree it's easier just to get used to the Number 7. It's the "perfect" number, remember? Congratulations! You all look so happy!

The Leader Of This Crazy Clan said...

Lindy is adorable!!! And I completely understand the #7.... when I count it's by 2's SO yep always seemed off!! Guess we never got use to it!! :)

Ashley Cleverly said...

Dave and I have been wondering all these years how you managed to have enough energy with 6 kids and 2 businesses to run. . . .now I just figure your both saints! Beautiful family!!!

The Moarefdoust Family said...

Now I know how you gained another child. I always thought you were one crazy lady, but also the most wonderful mother a child could ask for. Lindy is a lucky girl! You really do have a beautiful family!

Lisa said...

What a beautiful bunch you have there! I'm so happy to see you doing so fabulous!Welcome to Miss Lindy.

Jenn said...

Lindy is so stinkin' cute! You are lucky to get such a sweetie pie and Lindy is so lucky to get such a wonderful family :)

McEntire Family said...

You are simply amazing and I am always in awe of everything you and Al can accomplish! Welcome to sweet Lindy and how wonderful for Abby to have her sister in your home. They look a lot a like! Maybe someday we'll show up on your doorstep for a visit. We ran into President Ernstrom getting off our cruise on Sunday - made me think of you guys and our married student ward days. Happy 2012!

Kellie said...

Oh my! I hate hate hate not know what is happening in your life!!! I'm just utterly amazed every time you post! Your family is beautiful. You are such an amazing mother, woman, wife and friend. Your selfless love is so contagious. Every time I look at how much you do, I'm simply amazed you can do it! Lindy is so lucky to join her sister and your family. I'm so excited, I just cried watching that video of her. I can tell she found the right place! Love you!