Sunday, February 5, 2012

Reality TV

Over the past several years, we have heard "You should have a TV show" more than a couple of times. On Wednesday we got a taste of what reality TV would be like. A film crew showed up at our house at 7:30 AM and stayed all day. It was all part of making a short documentary (2.5 minutes) on Al & I for Mormon.org. If all goes well, at the beginning on summer you will get to see Al & I trying to convince the world that we are normal people.

We were miked all day and had a camera within in 5 feet of each of us almost the whole day. They filmed our life while asking us why we were the way we were. While you shortly forget the cameras are there, everyone around you doesn't. I didn't think it was possible to get stranger looks than we get when I take all 7 kids somewhere. Having a camera man does add to the looks.

It really hit me that night about how far I had come in 10 years. 10 years ago if we had someone coming over to our house, it would be cleaned top to bottom, outfits coordinated, and the house filled with the aroma of homemade yumminess and that was for some friends stopping by, not a film crew. Cut to this week, where my house was filmed with beds unmade, kids with dirty faces, and dinner out.

I realized several times throughout that day, I could worry about portraying the perfect family, or we could just be us. Yes, I wish that the house was perfect, kids looked perfect, and I was the perfect homemaker. Sometimes though I have to remind myself to be easy on myself and remember there is only so much I can do.

Kate + 8 and the Duggars can stay in the spotlight and we will happily go back to regular life.

5 comments:

Stacey said...

You're fabulous! I'm very excited to see your "Mormon Ad." And to see how convincingly you acted "normal." We miss being able to come to your house. Jacob still talks about AJ, it amazes me that he can even remember him.

McEntire Family said...

Can't wait to see the Mormon Ad. Make sure you let us all know when it is up. You continue to AMAZE me!

Courtney said...

Can't wait to see your ad. I know you are so busy, but I do wish you would blog more. I love reading about your 'real life'. A few years ago when you had 5 kids, (and I think the oldest was 4) I thought your life your life looked so fun, now that my life is headed that way, I am learning that your life really is fun.

The Leader Of This Crazy Clan said...

How exciting!! I would much rather watch your true reality! And even happier to know your beds aren't made!! :)

Ashley Cleverly said...

I am excited to see your ad! You and Al truly are wonderful!