Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Where is the pioneer stock?

I have pioneer ancestors that walked across the United States in the 1800's with their belongings in a covered wagon, even when it was freezing outside. I pride myself on being tough like my ancestors. I had my first baby without an epidural to prove that I was as tough as the pioneers (and to save a little money). But, Texas has softened me to weather.

Today it is 20 degrees. Aly and I talked about moving to Florida this morning, we are pretty sure it never gets that cold there! I have frozen all day. I was sitting in bed working on dance studio stuff with my electric blanket on high and furnace running full fledge. I looked at the clock, realized it was time to go pick up Caleb, thought about waking up both of my napping kids to go out in the freezing weather and caved. I sent a text to Caleb's school teacher telling her to ask Caleb if he wanted to stay after school today in the aftercare program. Before I could think twice about it, I hit send. Caleb was excited to stay and play with friends and I am still in my warm bed.

Miley just woke up sad. Maybe her tender little heart realized what choice I made. I won't get the mother-of-the-year award, but at least Jake, Miley, and I will stay warm...

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Tsk, tsk.
At least it doesn't make me feel as bad as making Greg go to work late so he can take Jacob to school and I don't have to take Annabelle, Maddie, Lorelei and myself into the frigid morning air (and by frigid, I mean frigid:).
Drink some hot chocolate and put on a sweater, you'll make it. Spring comes sooner in Texas right?

katielovie said...

Aww come on Sister Burns, didn't Nebraska prepare you for all that crazy cold weather? :)

Kellie said...

I've been dying to call you!!! I can't believe all that you do. You really are superwoman. PLUS 20 is so cold. I don't remember it ever being that cold when I lived in Texas! Love that you can text his school/teacher. SO AWESOME!!! I would get so lazy and do that WAY TOO MUCH! I am loving your reality. You are mother of the year dear!!!!

Lisa said...

Kellie-

So good to hear from you!!! I tried calling you a couple of weeks ago and had old numbers! I would love to talk and catch up.